BOOKMARK: Max Vision Network Security & Penetration Testing website
BOOKMARK: MIXTER Security
June 9, 2000
- NEWS:CNN FBI probing potentially 'massive' new hacker attack to disable Web sites FBI will meet with experts from a security company Friday to discuss the firm's discovery that hackers have embedded a malicious program
Also Checkout Slashdot Discussion and www.netsec.net for more information.
May 15, 2000
- FAQ DOS FAQ This FAQ covers denial of service attacks (DoS) in great depth, and has links to software that can be used to execute DoS attacks. Also DDos Research
May 15, 2000
- PAPER On Magic, IRC wars, and DDoS The recent attacks against major Internet sites are "magical" in the same fashion. The public doesn't know how the hacks are done, and imagines all sorts of things. It is much simpler than that.
May 15, 2000
- DISCUSSION(Political) THE WAR ON HACKERS This last week we have been inundated with press about distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks against the portal and shopping sites at Yahoo, Amazon, eBay, CNN.com, Buy.com, ZDNet, E*Trade, and Excite.com. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice the dire message exposed by these news stories?
May 15, 2000
- ARTICLE Network Services in an Uncooperative Internet By hacking your TCP stack, you could theoretically do a number of things to increase your TCP transmission performance. Essentially, you could just "turn down" or completely eliminate the limits that TCP was designed to introduce. Your hacked stack would transmit as fast as it can and everyone else's TCP stack will kindly get out of the way in the face of so much usage.
May 13, 2000
- ARTICLE Covert Channels in the TCP/IP Protocol Suite The TCP/IP protocol suite has a number of weaknesses that allow an attacker to leverage techniques in the form of covert channels to surreptitiously pass data in otherwise benign packets. This paper attempts to illustrate these weaknesses in both theoretical and practical examples.
HEADLINES WIRED.COM:IS/IT Infostructure
May 2, 2000
- PAPER Analysis of mstream, a DDoS tool This is an analysis of "mstream", a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack tool, based on the source code of "stream2.c", a classic point-to-point DoS attack tool
May 1, 2000
- PAPER Source code to mstream, a DDoS tool It's been alleged that this source code, once compiled, was used by persons unknown in the distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks earlier this year.
Apr 26, 2000
- PAPER A study of TCP and the DDOS problem By exploiting features inherent to TCP protocol remote attackers can perform denial of service attacks on a wide array of target operating systems. The attack is most efficient against HTTP servers.
Mar 18, 2000
- PAPER Analysis of the Shaft distributed denial of service tool This is an analysis of the "Shaft" distributed denial of service (DDoS) tool. Denial of service is a technique to deny access to a resource by overloading it, such as packet flooding in the network context.
Mar 17, 2000
- LINK 138238 Misconfigured Networks !! This site does polling to find out how many misconfigured networks are out there waiting to become one of the victim sites in originating DDOS attacks. I hope people who manage these networks do understand what they are doing and immediately correct it.
Mar 15, 2000
- LINK DDOS info on securify.com Comprehensive list of info and links for DDOS prevention. Recomended.
Feb 27, 2000
- PAPER Client-side Distributed Denial-of-Service:Valid campaign tactic or terrorist act?
Feb 27, 2000
- ABCNEWS: Two More Sites Attacked
Feb 20, 2000
- INFO:More on DDOS : Excerpted from up comming book Uberhacker (happyhacker.org)
Feb 18, 2000
- PAPER: /insync/ddos/papers/mixter_1.shtml Tribe Flood Network 3000: Mixter speaks about new tools on the web.
PAPER: /insync/ddos/papers/bennett_todd_1.shtml A very interesting paper which talks about DDOS in simple english. The paper is a collection of facts and solutions to the problem of DDOS attacks.
Feb 17, 2000
Feb 16, 2000
- SLASHDOT.ORG: Security Expert Dave Dittrich on DDoS Attacks
Feb 15, 2000
- WIRED.COM: The Crash of a Dot Gov
WIRED.COM: Hot On the Trail of 'Mafiaboy'
WIRED.COM: Hot On the Trail of 'Mafiaboy' 2
Feb 14, 2000
- NEWS.COM: German programmer "Mixter" addresses cyberattacks
NEWS.COM: Hacker discloses new Internet attack software
WIRED.COM: Sleuthing Out the DoS Attacks
WIRED.COM: Hack Arrest 'A Matter of Time'
Feb 12, 2000
Feb 11, 2000
- WIRED.COM: Hacker Probe Fixes on College
WIRED.COM: Clinton Summit on Web Attacks
NEWS.COM: White House calls experts to address cyber attacks
CNN.COM: Consulting firm says its server was used to attack AOL
CNN.COM: A chat about Internet Security and Denial of Service attacks with Avi Rubin
SLASHDOT.ORG: Linux Blamed for DDoS Attacks
Feb 10, 2000
- PAPER: Jason Barlow's Post on Bugtraq about TFN2K
BLOOMBERG.COM: Hacker Attacks Spread to ZDNet, E*Trade Sites; FBI Begins Nationwide Probe
NEWS.COM: FBI posts software to combat hacker attacks
WIRED.COM: Suspicious Email Takes Credit
WIRED.COM: Doing Away with DoS
WIRED.COM: DoS: Defense Is the Best Offense
WIRED.COM: Hacker Havoc Reveals Risks
WIRED.COM: The Butler Hacked It!
Feb 9, 2000
- PAPER: Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) News Flash
NEWSBYTES.COM: Denial Of Service Attacks Continue - Reports
NEWS.COM:Despite doomsaying, the Net will survive
NEWS.COM:The making of weapons--underground
NEWS.COM:Leading Web sites under attack
NEWS.COM:Reno vows fed help in combating Net vandalism
NEWS.COM:Cyberspace is difficult terrain for FBI
NEWS.COM:How a "denial of service" attack works
NEWS.COM:Web sites asked to be on alert BBC.CO.UK: Yahoo brought to standstill
WIRED.COM: Smells Like Teen Malcontent
WIRED.COM: 'If We Find Them, They'll Pay'
WIRED.COM: Security Firms Lick Their Chops
WIRED.COM: Unscathed Ask, 'Who's Next?'
WIRED.COM: A Frenzy of Hacking Attacks
MSNBC.COM: Misconfigured routers blamed for spate of Internet attacks
MSNBC.COM: Tracing the source of hacker attacks
MSNBC.COM: Assessing denial of service attacks
MSNBC.COM: Hackers assault online broker
MSNBC.COM: Internet security stocks surge after Web attacks
MSNBC.COM: Consumers keep on shopping online
MSNBC.COM: Vandals hit more top Internet sites
Feb 8, 2000
- SLASHDOT.ORG More DoS Attacks: CNN, Amazon, eBay, Buy.com...
NEWS.COM: New assault weapons pose threat to Web
NEWS.COM: Computer security stocks climb as attacks continue
BBC.CO.UK:Yahoo attack exposes web weakness
WIRED.COM: Yahoo on Trail of Site Hackers
WIRED.COM: Was Yahoo Smurfed or Trinooed?
WIRED.COM: Yahoo Sizzles After Burn
REPORT: who's doing what, with which, to whom, for why?
Feb 7, 2000
- Yahoo Attacked. No one knows what happened except that it was inaccesable for more than 3 hours. It was also known that the attack was co-ordinated and hence the standard firewall algorithms failed to figure out what was happening.
YAHOO: How a basic attack crippled Yahoo
USATODAY: Net hackers develop destructive new tools
Feb 3, 2000
December 31, 1999
December 27, 1999
- APBNEWS.COM: Experts Warn of Multipronged E-Mail Assaults
December 23, 1999
- COMPUTERWORLD.COM: CERT warns of networked denial of service attacks
December 20, 1999
December 15, 1999
- UNIONTRIB.COM: Malicious programs lie in wait, FBI warns
December 8, 1999
- CERT Advisory: CERTÃ‚Â® Incident Note IN-99-07
October 21, 1999