More on Amazon S3 versioning (webinar)
If you missed the AWS S3 versioning webcast, I have a copy of the video here. And here are the highlights..
- You can enable and disable this at the bucket level
- They donâ€™t think there is a performance penalty of turning versioning (but it was kind of obvious S3 would be doing slightly extra work to figure out which is the latest version of any object you have)
- There isnâ€™t any additional cost for using versioning. But you have to pay for extra copy of each object.
- MFA (multi factor authentication) to delete objects is not mandatory when versioning is turned on. It needs to be turned on. This was slightly confusing in the original email I got from AWS.
- If you are planning to use this, please watch this video. There is a part where they explain what happens if you disable versioning after using the feature. This is something you might like to know about.
- They use GUID for versioning of each object
- You can iterate over objects and figure out how many versions you have for each object, but currently its not possible to find all objects which have versions older than X date. This is important if you are planning to garbage collection (cleaning up older copies of data) for a later time.