- Foursquare MongoDB Outage Post Mortem - Detailed analysis of what caused the foursquare (mongodb) outages.
- SURGE Recap - Interesting take aways from a scalability conference. The one new take away I noticed is "Make use of academic literature".
- Netflix Migration to the Cloud - Very interesting (technical) information about why netflix moved to the cloud.
- Phoebus: Erlang-based Implementation of Google's Pregel - Is Phoebus and attempt at opensource version of Pregel ?
- Why Riak Search Matters... - Didn't understand riak until this post compared it with lucene and solr. Itching to try it out... one more nosql experimentation isn't going to kill me.
- Google at USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI â€˜10) - I've mentioned one of the papers listed here already. the other two seem to be interesting as well.
- OpenTSDB: A Distributed, Scalable Monitoring System on Top of HBase - I saw a demo of this tool last week and was blown away. Still waiting for the code to be released.
- Feds Discover 1,000 More Data Centers - Thats another scalability issue. visibility is one of the keys to be able to scale efficiently. virtualizing 100s of servers on demand is useless unless there is someone or something keeping the tally of whats actually in use
- AWS Elastic Load Balancing: Support for SSL Termination - This is huge. One of the biggest show stoppers for SSL service providers has now disappeared.
October 18, 2010
Scalability links for October 18th: