Scalability links for January 19th
Scalability links for January 19th:
- Optimizing TCP Socket Across Data Centers - Intersting observation of why bandwidth sometime hits a ceiling. Also explains why organizatinos need CDNs and local datacenters closer to the end users.
- Introducing AWS Elastic Beanstalk - I made a prediction just a few days ago that AWS would do something like this.Â This is very cool and confirms my observation as to where the industry is heading towards.
- Paper: Relational Cloud: A Database-as-a-Service for the Cloud -
- Researcher Develops Password Hacking Software for Wi-Fi Networks Using Amazon Web Services - Scary way of using the cloud. But at the same time it shows that computing power is cheaper than ever.
- Hadoop I/O: Sequence, Map, Set, Array, BloomMap Files -
- Skype's acquisition of Qik is now complete - Now who can help me remove Qik app from my Evo ? Its a terrible product for which I have no use... but came bundled with the phone and I'm stuck with it.
- Gang of Smart Mini-Copters Learns How to Build Stuff [VIDEO] - The other day I saw a guy hanging from the helicopter.. who then landed on a electricity tower to do some maintenance. I wonder if some of those kind of risky jobs could be replaced by automation as shown in this demo.
- What's new in Cassandra 0.7: Secondary indexes - A detailed post on how to use secondary indexes with cassandra.
- Infrastructure Key to Googleâ€™s No-Downtime Guarantee - The post says it all. After working in a webops role for a long time, I can say that this is a significant achievement.
- New Webinar: High Availability Websites -